Thursday, February 22, 2018

Lent 2018 - Entering the Spiritual Desert

Understanding the meaning of Lent: Temptation

Firstly, All glory to the Most High for His everlasting love and mercy on such a sinner like me, that I always and continue to be drowned and overwhelmed by His grace and mercy. Surely, without Him, I am nothing!

To be honest, temptation is a disease we all suffer from. I am tempted everywhere around me. From the smallest and littlest of things to the most extreme and extravagant of nothing into something. Most frequent temptations I've cross paths with consists of lust, eating and over-eating, spending - spending money I shouldn't and don't have, arguing with my husband, never giving in, social media and my most favorite of all, procrastination! The list can go on and on, but I'm most vulnerable in these because... I honestly don't know! I'm trying so hard to reason with myself on why I do such things, and why I give in. Why do I tend to my needs and wants in such ways? Why do I do things to "feel-good"? Some days, I feel self-control, most days I give in. I like to think of this as my utopia and that it is ok, and that I will ask for forgiveness later and surely God will forgive me. Well, I was WRONG! Not just a little, but on so many levels WRONG!

Matthew 4:1-11 is the story of Jesus' Temptation in the Desert. I contemplate so hard on this story and no matter how many time I read it, I become so contrite, despaired and broken. I'm sure it's because I feel so much guilt as I look at the way the Savior handles each circumstance and each situation to the very tee! To take a closer look to the precise of things, The Lord was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. He fasted forty days and forty nights and was then so famished. In that very moment, He was tempted by the devil. The devil first tempted Him to command rocks and stones into loaves of of bread. Jesus answered, "It is written, 'One does not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.'" Again, He was tempted by the devil as He was taken to the holy city and was placed on the pinnacle of the temple and said to Him, "If You're the Son of God, throw yourself down; for it is written, 'He will command his angels concerning you,' and 'On their hands they will bear you up, so that you will not dash your foot against a stone.'" But Jesus replied, "Again it is written, 'Do not put the Lord your God to the test.'" But the devil doesn't stop there, he take Jesus to a very high mountain and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor; and said to Him, "All these I will give you, if you fall down and worship me"...Jesus replies, "Away with you, Satan! for it is written, 'Worship the Lord your God, and serve only Him.'" Then the devil left him, and suddenly angels came and waited on him.

How marvelous, how wonderful and my song shall ever be! How I cannot compare to such a grace, how I cannot compare to such strength! But me, small little me, take my will for granted, when Jesus paved the way and set the example for how easy, how simple, how victorious it is to defeat the devil, with merely denying his evil ways and clinging to the WORD of God! How amazing indeed! Who am I to question such strength? Who am I to take such grace and courage. I am simply nothing without GOD! My temptations are nothing.

Jesus makes temptation seems as if the devil is nothing of existence. The way He rebukes the devil, the way He pushes forward and declares the Word of God. It's simply beautiful. Temptation only seems a feeling of virtue to confide and indulge in because of our human ways. Instead the example that Christ sets before my eyes only describes temptation is to never yield to. With that in mind, I look at my temptations as things I can easily overcome. But why is it so hard for me to do so? I believe, it is of my human nature that temptation is something to be fond of. But the Word of God reminds me, "Yield not to temptation." My only job from here on out, is to obey! Not obey to indulge my temptations, but to obey the Word of God, simply as Jesus did in the desert! Obey the Word of God, and the Word of God speaks to never yield into temptation.

One of my daily indulgences is food! Oh yes do we all love food! However, the temptations of food results in guilt and extra weight. ugh! the weight. That's another blog in itself. As I walk this Lenten journey, I pray that my temptations never take over me. I keep singing in my head a hymn by Horatio Palmer: "Yield Not to Temptation" The lyrics really hit home on this, and it's what I'll sum up this blog with! May God Bless this Lenten journey. May His Spirit abide and His Word be ever true in my life. In Jesus' name  - Amen.

Yield not to temptation
For yielding is sin;
Each victory will help you,
Some other to win.
Fight valiantly onward,
Evil passion subdue;
Look ever to Jesus,
He will carry you through.
 
Shun evil companions
Bad language disdain;
God's name hold in reverence
Nor take it in vain.
Be thoughtful and earnest,
Kindhearted and true;
Look ever to Jesus,
He will carry you through.
 
To him that o'ercometh
God giveth a crown;
Through faith we will conquer,
Though often cast down.
He who is our Savior,
Our strength will renew;
Look ever to Jesus,
He will carry you through.
 
Refrain:
Ask the Savior to help you,
Comfort, strengthen and keep you;
He is willing to aid you,
He will carry you through.

No comments:

Post a Comment