Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Awkward Season: Lent

This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished— he did it to demonstrate his justice at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus. -Romans 3:22-26
It's Lent season (Ash Wednesday to be exact). I haven't made up my mind yet on anything to "give up" or fast. Last year, it was soda. I think by the 14th day I might have drank at least, almost 6 soda cans within the time period :( I've been praying and meditating a lot though upon Lent this year. Something I came across that spoke to me was a piece from this mornings' devotional in the Upper Room:

O GOD, who makes all things new, new stars, new dust, new life; take my heart, every hardened edge and measured beat, and create something new in me. I need your newness, God, the rough parts of me; me made smooth; the stagnant, stirred, the stuck, freed; the unkind, forgiven. And then, by the power of your Spirit, I need to be turned toward Love again. Amen.
- Pamela Hawkins
The Awkward Season: Prayers for Lent

As my day went by, I pondered on how much I needed and how much I wanted in my life this year. In the end,the list seemed to keep going and going like the Energizer bunny. But to me, it didn't really matter what the outcome was because I knew one thing for sure. My heart needs a lot of mending and polishing this year. It needs to give love and accept love whether it be good or bad. It also needs a whole lot of Jesus to come and dwell inside it. Just like this prayer, I hope the power of the Holy Spirit will tune me towards Loving Him more.
Therefore, what am I giving up for Lent this year?... Well, when I think about the heart, I think about love. When I think about love(like literally) of course I think of Jesus. But when I think harder, I think about chocolate. When I think about chocolate, I think about candy. So, what am I thinking to give up for Lent this year? I'm thinking about candy.... But then again, candy gets me thinking, like actually thinking...so we'll see.
"The time has come," he said. "The kingdom of God is near. Repent and believe the good news!" -Mark 1:15

No comments:

Post a Comment